My friend Kari asked this question on her blog and then told us about her frustrating lock-out experience. Since I'm sure that there are more lock-out sufferers out there (at least I'm hoping there are so that I don't feel so alone) I thought I would share my story and ask if there are any others out there willing to share their story as well. So consider this a TAG.
To start with, I have locked my keys in my car so many times I had to have an extra key in a magnetic box under the car at all times. I used it a lot until it got lost during a student car wash. I've locked my keys in the car with it running in the Arizona heat with the A/C on and worried it would overheat, at a campground in the mountains with no cell phone in sight, at the grocery store, at the library, even my friend I lent the car to locked her 18 mo. old son in the car and was nearly turning the car over trying to get the door unlocked (I'm not sure what she was thinking... shaking the car violently was doing nothing to unlock the door.)
The worst was last winter when I went to pick up a bag of shoes from a stranger's home in Pleasant Grove. I just had to pick up the bag off the porch and go...so I thought. My doors lock automatically when I drive and somehow the driver side door got locked when I got out of the car, but I didn't know it until I went to get back in 1 minute latter, so all the doors were locked. The worst part was that the car was running and 5 month old Megan was asleep in the back. I went to the lady who I got the shoes from (thank goodness she was home) and used her phone. The lady said I should call the police but after locking my keys in the car so many times in Arizona and being told by the police that they couldn't help me due to liability concerns I called CJ instead. 1 1/2 hours latter he still hadn't showed up! He had gotten lost. That was one of those days that made me so frustrated that we didn't have a cell phone. I was desperate to get Megan (who was still sleeping thankfully) so I went back to the lady and called the police fully expecting them to tell me there was nothing they could do. They were there and had the door open in 5 minutes! Just after the police opened the door CJ showed up. All of the frustration, worry, and wasted gas (remember, 1 1/2 hours of idling) could have been avoided if I had just called the police in the first place like the extremely understanding and non-judgemental woman had told me to do. My first worry was Megan and her safety but my second worry was how mad CJ was going to be at me for asking him to come to a place he was unfamiliar with, getting him lost by giving him bad directions, and then calling the police anyway. I had said many silent prayers while waiting that CJ would not be mad and that he would be at peace. I tell you that prayers work and miracle do happen. CJ was frustrated that he got lost but he was not mad at me at all. He felt sorry for me and all the worry that I had gone through. I am so grateful that everything turned out well that day. I haven't locked myself out since that day and I hope that I never do it again. But if I do, our new car insurance company has 24-hour road service built in to the policy and I have a cell phone in my pocket now.
It's your turn now. Has this ever happened to you?
2 comments:
So I'm going to do that tag, check my blog for it :)
Tag... looks like you beat me to it!
Post a Comment