Anyway, I have a lot of catching up to do because this is the time of year that I print my blog as a record for my family and most of it (more than I want to think about *tear*) is still in my head...and on my camera. I will start with the fun we had on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day...well night really. New Year's Eve was different this year because Lizzie and Rebecca were old enough to attend the multi-stake youth dance so they were gone when we rang in the new year. They invited their group of friends that they were going to the dance with to our house for a pre-dance party. I was a little nervous at the thought of a house full of teenagers getting all pumped up for the dance at our house but I was also excited for the chance to really enjoy the festivities of the night through the eyes of youth again (not that I was going to be in the way or try to be "one of the gang" or anything.) After the whole family spent many hours together at our store getting things organized and ready to go we came home and the girls got busy getting the house ready for the party. They had gotten a mini disco ball and some fun light up decorations for Christmas so they set those up in the front room with the Christmas tree so that the room was full of dancing color and totally ready to party. Sadly only one of Rebecca's friends is old enough to go to the dance so she came over but all of Lizzie's friends...FORGOT! I was so sad for the girls because they were looking so forward to the party. It didn't even faze them though. Rebecca had fun with her friend who is new in the neighborhood so they got to know each other better and Lizzie just spent extra time getting ready for the dance. They are such sweet girls!! Lizzie did meet up with her friends at the dance (who were very sorry they had forgotten about the party) and she had a really good time. Rebecca and her friend played a lot of games and had fun. Rebecca even won a movie ticket with her Twister game playing skilz. As for the rest of us, Alexander fell asleep way earlier than expected, and so we just sat and watched a movie while Dakota baked us her first pumpkin pie. She was really nervous but it came out beautifully. She did a great job! Just before midnight Megan accidentally woke up Alexander so he joined us for the traditional pan banging and loud well wishing to the neighbors at midnight. After that 2 minutes of fun we gathered in a circle with a glass of hot apple cider for the New Year toast lead by Dakota. Not our usual way to celebrate but it was still very enjoyable.
New Year's Day didn't go quite the way I had planned but it was still a good day. The one thing I really wanted to do though was take the kids sledding. Megan hadn't been for a few years and Alexander had never gone so I was disappointed when the sun had gone down and we had yet to even go outside. I was bound and determined however to make sure that the kids got to go sledding on New Year's Day so even though the sun had gone down...along with the temps...we still bundled up the kids and went night sledding. Yea, it was stinkin' cold (a whopping 12 degrees and dropping) but we had the whole hill all to ourselves and it was a blast! We have an awesome sledding hill a few blocks from our house so we didn't have to travel far. It was great because it has little "bunny hills" for Alex and Megan to practice on, then gradually higher hills for them to sled down until we reached the top of the big hill for the real fun. Because of the frigid temps the hill was nice and slick. The speeds were so good that the kids went down the hill, all the way across the landing area, and then back up the bunny hills on the other side nearly going off the area all together. I even ventured down the big hill on a sled not once but twice and loved it both times. Alexander was so funny. He loved going down the hills so much that most times he didn't even wait for his turn on the sled. He would roll down the hill, slide on his tummy, or even just break out in a really fast run down the hill squealing with delight the whole way down and back up again. He cracked me up!!! Lizzie was there the whole time, Dakota joined us when she got back from a friend's house and Rebecca stayed home since she had already gone sledding with a friend and she was still cold. I can't wait to go night sledding again...I will wait until the temps are a little nicer though.
![]() |
| Not so easy to take a picture in the dark...not so easy to have your picture taken either with the blinding flash. |
![]() |
| Very cold but still having a good time. |


No comments:
Post a Comment