It's General Conference time again and I was so looking forward to the uplifting and inspiring talks that I would hear. When I was younger I loved conference time because I got to sleep in and didn't have to get all dressed up, but also because of the good feeling I had while listening. I didn't remember anything that was said because I didn't understand much of it but I still enjoyed watching it. Now that I understand what is being said I look forward to conference more than ever and I don't even mind getting dressed up even though I am watching it at home. For this General Conference however our Stake was given tickets. I don't know how many times before that has happened but this was the first time the tickets were offered to us. When we were offered the tickets to go to the Conference Center and be in attendance we jumped on the chance. I asked for 5 tickets so that we could take the three older girls with us. That's a lot of tickets to ask for since they want to let as many people go as possible but I just couldn't bear the thought of leaving the girls behind.
To say that the girls were excited when they found out that they would be going to the Conference Center for the Saturday morning session of conference was an understatement. They didn't even mind how early they would have to get up on a Saturday to get there on time. They were amazed with everything they saw just getting from the parking lot to the building.
There were sooooo many people. I don't know that they have ever been to a place so crowded that they could remember. There were at least 100 people holding signs or just plain asking for any extra tickets, and those were just the ones on the side of the building that we entered on. They also got to see the protesters that just can't stay away. I honestly expected to see more protesters but there really weren't that many. Thankfully they were not like the protesters at the Manti Pageant who actually come up to the youth thinking they are easier targets. They were loud but peaceful protesters.
Trying to take your picture outside was not an easy task. You had to be fast and take your pictures before the crowd walked in front of you or did something else I didn't even expect, they stood in line behind the camera hurrying you along because they like the spot you chose to take pictures too. I took more pictures than usual so the girls were getting tired of the camera and just wanted to go sit down.
The girls were a little surprised that they had to go through metal detectors and have our bags searched to get inside. Once inside though things felt more reverent and we couldn't wait for things to get started. I took a few more pictures before promising the girls that the camera would finally be put away (although after it was over I found one more spot where I wanted to take pictures so I did break my promise...sorry girls.)
Getting there early enough to make sure that you had a seat meant that you had plenty of time to converse with your neighbors. There was a group of high school girls sitting in front of us that came from Palm Springs, California. The gentleman sitting next to Dakota was from Canada. I forgot which part but he said that he has come down for many Conference sessions over the years. The last time he came they brought 31 of the youth with them. He was fun to talk to and even had ties to our little city of Payson.
The one thing the girls looked forward to more than anything was standing for the Prophet when he entered the room. I told them of the hush that instantly fell over the crowd as everyone stands for the Prophet. They waited and watched but as the crowd quieted and everyone stood we were all surprised to see that the Prophet did not enter with Presidents Eyring and Uchtdorf. I could see some scrambling going on with last minute changes to the program being given to the conductor of the meeting as the Prophet is usually the first speaker. A few minutes later the program began with the Prophet's chair remaining empty.
No worries however. As we all stood to sing the song for intermission the Prophet quietly appeared. Then true to his nature made a little joke about his tardiness and proceeded to make his usual new Temple announcements that got the whole Conference Center buzzing and just filled me with a spirit so strong that I was unprepared for it. When it was over the girls were surprised at how fast time had gone. They said it felt like they had barely sat down and now it was time to go. They enjoyed Conference ever so much more when they were in the presence of the speakers then they do watching it at home with all the distractions and temptations to just lay your head down and go back to sleep. Like me they wish that they could be there for every session of Conference. When I lived in Colorado it was hard to get Conference on TV and there was no internet (yes, I am as old as dinasours) so we used to get dressed up and go to the Stake Center to watch Conference. I really wish we had that option here. If I cannot be at the Conference Center for the talks than I would at least love to be at a Stake Center rather than in my living room. It just means so much more when you get dressed in your Sunday best and congregate with others in a quiet meeting house where there are less distractions. I guess that is just wishful thinking for now.
I can't express enough how grateful I am for this experience. It is certainly right up there as one of my most favorite memories with my children.
2 comments:
How wonderful! So glad you had such a great opportunity. I'd love to do that someday.
I remember going to the Priesthood session and telling Mom and Martha I would probably be the only one without a suit on, so just look for the white shirt. We foud each other even with about 16,000 white shirts. Don't worry about the protestors, they actually make people curious about what's going on there. We met a couple from France who said they wanted to come in to see why they would protest, since they heard nothing but good things about the Church. They got some tickets and went in to see a session.
Dad
Post a Comment