Sunday, August 9, 2009

Open House

Well, the open house went really well. The day before the open house the wind was horrendous. I thought I was going to blow away. The wind was blowing dirt inside the house, the car, and everywhere else. I was so covered in dirt by the time I left that I didn't think I would ever get it all out. We prayed very hard for good weather the day of the open house so that the house wouldn't be ruined by dirt getting trampled into the floor, all over the walls, etc. As you can see in the pictures it was cloudy and threatened rain but it did not rain. The wind was also cooperating and did not blow until the end. I feel very blessed.


This is the little tree that CJ and I planted in the wind. It held up very well and looks cute in the yard. It isn't getting enough water to the roots though because of the slope in the yard and we are loosing it. I will be very sad if our first little tree dies. I really like the tree and think it will be beautiful. Pray that we can save tree.


These are the official ribbon cutting scissors. I thought they were plastic but they aren't. They are real scissors just humongous. Dakota has been hoping they would let her cut the ribbon since the day she heard about the ceremony so I thought that she would really like to hold the scissors.


They usually tie the ribbon on to the garage but they ran out of ribbon about 3 feet short of the garage opening. They decided to tie it to the porch instead. I think that it looks so much better picture wise here than it would have if they had tied it to the garage. It makes the house look like a big present.


Here are the families in the build (minus two families who thought they were too good for the picture), the mayor, the Rural Housing staff, and who ever else wanted to be in the picture waiting to cut the ribbon. If you look really hard you can see that the ones they chose to cut the ribbon were Rebecca and, you guessed it, Dakota. She was sooooo happy.


And the ribbon is cut!

Look at the amount of people in my driveway. The camera lens isn't big enough to show everyone so there were even more than you can see. I don't know the actual number of people that came through to tour the house but it was a lot. At 6pm on the dot we got to lock the doors though. We weren't sure if we were done with the build or not though since the inspections on the homes still hadn't been done and we could not get our certificates and keys until all homes passed inspection. At about 5pm the inspector finally showed and he quickly went through all the homes. At about 5 min. to 6 we got the news that all the houses passed and the homes were officially ours. The build is officially OVER!! It won't sink in for a while though. We won't get the certificate of occupancy until they copy them at the office and that won't be until at least tomorrow but they did give us the keys and told us we could move in. We are packing the moving truck this Tuesday and moving in on Wednesday. We are excited and scared at the same time. I wanted to be more ready for the move but I just feel so unprepared. Oh well. It's almost over. I just want to thank everyone again for their love and support and especially their prayers while we went through this trial. We feel so blessed and we know we couldn't have done it without you.

1 comment: