Monday, July 6, 2009

Building: Week 27, 28, and 29

I am waaaay sorry for taking so long to get back to posting. I wish I could be as good as my friend Sarah. She blogs everyday! I love it. I will have to work on that, but not right now. It may get even more spars because I am finally starting to pack the house. I can't put it off any longer or we won't be ready and I don't want to be one of the people that is used as a moving horror story by those who help us. Anyway, there has been a lot of finish work going on lately. It's all on the inside of course. I'm not sure when we will finish the landscaping. Here is the run down:

Week 27:


I was a little disoriented when I drove up to the work site the back way and couldn't find my house for a minute. There was a house just getting it's stucco where my house stood. Since my house already had stucco I thought it was a new house that was built supper fast and mine must be next to it. The house next to it wasn't mine either. WHERE WAS MY HOUSE!! After the confusion I realized that the house getting the stucco was indeed my house. I remembered that I told the supervisor that the stucco on the side of the house under one of the windows got messed up and the stucco guys just painted over it and it looked bad. What I didn't realize is that to fix the problem under the window they had to take all the stucco off the entire side of the house and redo it. The problem is fixed now and my house looks like it did.

The bathroom counter tops were installed.

The finish plumbing was delivered...aka the toilets, kitchen sink, faucets, etc.


Week: 28



The finish plumbing was installed. Now the bathroom looks functional. The water won't be turned on inside the house until we move in though. Then we can truly use the toilet.





The stone on the outside has been started. I thought ALL the stones were round. That's the way the sample shows it. However, you can see in the pictures that some of the stones are not round. This means the rock is not looking like I thought it would. Nor would it be as easy to put up. It should be done soon. We'll see how it turns out.



The outer doors were painted to match the garage door. There wasn't enough paint left to paint the trim around the doors too because they needed it for the other houses. Hopefully soon they will order more and our doors will be complete.


We were so excited to show the house to our friends the Roberts. They've been wanting to see the house for a while and we wanted them to see it. They came down with us and we had a picnic lunch at the park by the house after they toured our home. After the picnic we went through all the other houses in the build that we could. It was so much fun.

Week: 29

The bathroom mirrors were installed. The only thing left to be done in the bathrooms is the lights. We have them here, the electricians just need to come back to install them. We're not sure why they weren't installed the first time around. The other houses that have electricity have theirs installed.



The counter tops in the kitchen were installed. The only thing that is left in the kitchen is the appliances. They were actually supposed to be installed two weeks ago. All the other homes have their appliances. Even the house that was just finished framing a few weeks ago has their appliances. What frustrates me is that the supervisor came up to CJ and asked him what happened to our appliances. Even if he was joking, it wasn't funny. The supervisor was on vacation for a week and then went to supervise another build while their supervisor went on vacation for a week. We basically had no supervisor for two weeks. While he was gone so many things went undone and now he wonders why things are so far behind. He acts like its not a big deal, but now our August 1st move in is looking like August 31st. I really hope we can catch up.


We did get our carpet installed last week. I don't have any pictures yet. I'm not happy that our carpet was installed before the damage to the drywall was fixed and the paint touch ups were done. Now it's going to be a pain to try and protect the carpet while those things are done. What can you do. As close as our house is to being done there are still so many little things that need to be done that it seems like we'll never truly be finished. I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer and longer.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I actually like the stone in different shapes and not just circles. You will, too, when it's all done...I promise!

Almost done(ish)...

Ty Lyman said...

I have to tell you shelly, my dad used to do stone. It's like a puzzle. Very awesome when it's done. I love that your doing the stone. you'll love it too when it's done. NO WORRIES on the paint on the carpet. Look at the whole picture :) at least you have carpet :) it's plastic over the carpet to protect it. NO BIG DEAL. It's coming to an end it looks like. Also, the packing itself will get overwhelmed, your going to want just a few more days to make it not so messy at the end. We always do. Let me know if you end up with that stupid box at the end that has the "extra papers, and junk". Every time we move we have that, but I don't know how to stear away from that. It looks beautiful though, You will love that Lazy Susan, I love mine :)