After the successful painting of our bedroom I wanted to get all the painting done. However...just the thought of how much work that was going to be was enough to make me change my mind. I put off choosing colors for the rest of the house but thought about it constantly. There came a time however that I realized I could no longer put off painting the rest of the upstairs (minus the kid's rooms.) What made me get started?...it was the fact that we are fortunate enough to get new flooring for the entire upstairs (minus the bedrooms again. They will have to wait until the basement is done.) We are getting a really nice carpet for our front room and a beautiful tile for the rest. I wasn't crazy at the thought of tile throughout until I had to constantly clean the messes on the carpet. Now I can't wait to get rid of the cheap carpet that came with the house and put in beautiful new tile that does not have to be constantly guarded from the mess that comes from 5 kids, 2 cats, and 1 puppy. I figured that while the furniture was moved out and the floor was all tore up in preparation for the tile it would be a great time to paint. We kept pulling paint sample cards from the paint isle when ever we were there and finally sat down and chose the colors. We would have a light olive green on two walls in the front room, a cream on the third wall in the front room that would also go throughout the entry way and into the hallway. The kitchen/dining room and living room would share two shades of blue (a little lighter than the bedroom) since they are one big common room. Now that the colors were picked all we had to do was begin. Since we were getting the carpet in the front room first that is where we started. We moved all the furniture out (a task that I was totally dreading) and began to paint. I quickly realized that the colors we got from the paint cards were not exactly what we had envisioned. The green was more of a pastel not light olive, and the cream was more like bright yellow butter. The blues also turned out to be darker than hoped for too. At this point there was nothing I could do but except it and move on. It wasn't easy because it didn't really look as I had hoped but the colors aren't bad so I just let it go and now enjoy what we do have.
 |
| The last items to be moved from the front room. |
 |
| White walls soon to be bathed in color. It was so hard having to take my vinyl lettering off. I can't wait to get them back up. |
 |
| Megan gets to paint this time. |
 |
| Green done and yellow started. |
 |
| Hard at work. |
 |
| The finished arch. |
 |
| The hallway. |
 |
| The entryway. |
 |
| The two colors together in the front room with the old carpet. |
After the walls were painted it was time to install the new carpet. I was excited because this new carpet is so soft and plush. Not to mention it has a stain guard on it.
 |
| The new carpet. |
You can't see it in the picture but the new carpet is much higher than the old one. The old carpet is almost as flat as the linoleum. The old carpet is only two years old but it looks about 15. The quality of the carpet really does matter if you want it to look nice for a long period of time. This new carpet should look good for many years and is so soft that everyone wants to sleep in there.
I haven't started on the rest of the upstairs yet because I wanted to wait until the holidays were over. I didn't want to have my house all tore up during Christmas. So after the new year I will start painting again and we will also begin to tear up the floor for the tile. Good times.
1 comment:
Great job :) Your home looks great... I understand about the paint colors those little sample cards hardly ever are what the paint turns out to be. It looks great though even if it's not exactly what you had planned...
We were going to paint our living room but the paint I bought stinks.. so I had to wait to go buy more.
Post a Comment