Monday, February 21, 2011

Goals

Lizzie gave the lesson for our family home evening tonight and the lesson was on setting goals.  She used the Preach My Gospel manual to prepare her lesson.  She did such a wonderful job!  I was so impressed with the ideas she came up with, the handouts she made, the scriptures that she included, and the activities she used not only for the big kids but for the little ones as well so that they could be included.  She was so confident in her teaching and everyone was so excited to participate.  We talked about making personal goals and even set two family goals together, one was long term and one we actually accomplished before the end of the lesson.  One of the handouts she made was from a handout she had received from her Young Women class that hangs on our fridge.  She made us each a personal copy so that we could have it with us every time we sit down to write or evaluate our goals.  This is what it said:

Make "SMART" Goals!

S: specific
M: measurable
A: attainable
R: record & report
T: time-based

The other handout that she gave each of us was a quote from the Preach My Gospel manual.  One of the talks given in Church yesterday talked about this quote and it really struck me, so when Lizzie used it in her lesson I was so excited.  I was especially excited that she made me a copy of the quote so that I could see it every day.   Here is that quote:

"I am so thoroughly convinced that if we don't set goals in our life and learn how to master the techniques of living to reach our goals, we can reach a ripe old age and look back on our life only to see that we reached but a small part of a full potential. When one learns to master the principles of setting a goal, he will then be able to make a great difference in the results he attains in this life."

                                                                         - Elder M. Russell Ballard
 
For our treat afterwards she had made everyone their own "dirt cup" and even put them in to the cups that I bought for ice cream sundaes so that they would look special.  It was so much fun sitting around the table with everyone talking and enjoying the evening.  Thank you Lizzie, for all of your hard work.

2 comments:

kroberts@tectonixsteel.com said...

Love it, Love it, Love it!!!! Great job, Lizzie. She just planned our next FHE for me. Sweet!
Thanks for sharing Shelly.

kroberts@tectonixsteel.com said...

That was Nancy not Ken. I didn't realize he was signed in.