Thursday, September 16, 2010

Gummy Bear

I love baby's gummy smiles. I think there is just something about a gummy smile that makes me want to smile. I like the gummy smiles to last as long as possible but my kids like to teeth early and quickly (Rebecca was born with her first tooth.) Alexander decided he was going to be merciful to me. I kept expecting teeth around 5 months, 6 months at the latest. I checked everyday and there were no signs of teeth. The girls and I were so happy to see his gummy little smile last so long. Then around 7 months he started showing signs of teething...runny nose, rosy cheeks, diareah, and swollen gums. He was not irritated by any of this and kept smiling his gummy smile all the time. I kept looking for that first tooth that would pop out any day now but as the weeks went on I wondered if I was wrong about all the signs of teething because there was nothing happening. I started to wonder if he had any teeth in there at all. lol

Then last week on Wednesday, after 6 weeks of teething signs, he woke up with a fever so I knew something was about to happen. I checked in the morning and there was no tooth. I checked in the afternoon and THERE WAS A TOOTH! He finally popped out his first tooth! It was a bittersweet moment. I was so excited because he would find some relief from his swollen gums but sad to know that the days of his totally adorable gummy smile were very short now.

I put in the arrow so that you could tell the tooth apart from the shiny spit. I'm sure he is excited because once his teeth come in a whole new group of foods will be available to him.


Okay, this has nothing to do with teething but I wanted to put this in. He has always played with his tongue but he started doing this lately and it is so funny. It's hard to describe but he keeps touching his tongue to his top lip over and over as fast as he can. Sorry there is no video but I just love this picture.

2 comments:

karijean said...

He is so adorable! thanks for sharing pics. They grow too fast!

Familia Ascua said...

Oh, look how big he's getting. Just so cute! Miss yall!