Wednesday, March 24, 2010

TV update

When we first moved here to Payson I told you that we don't get TV reception and the only way to get TV was to order satellite and we couldn't do both satellite and internet so we didn't have TV anymore. I was glad to give up the TV (except for the news) but wasn't sure how everyone else would take it. It's been 7 months and I am happy to report that we are still without TV. It has actually been really nice. It was hard at first because we were all so addicted to it. We watched every movie we had about 3 times just to have something on the TV. After a while we got tired of all our movies and found Redbox. It was so cool because we had lots of free codes and had a new movie almost every night. It didn't take long though before we had watched every movie in Redbox that was worth watching...they don't have that big of a selection and I am very picky on what I let the kids watch. With no new movies to watch they finally started to not care if the TV was on or not. I think they were starting to detox. I am always getting offers for satellite in the mail and one particularly bad day where I wanted to veg out and just watch some TLC or Discovery I actually thought about getting satellite because the deal was really good. I asked Rebecca what she thought and she started pleading with me not to do it. She says she likes it so much better without TV. I couldn't believe it. I threw the mailer away and have not looked at any offers since then. We even had a satellite guy come to the door with a really good deal and CJ himself told them that we don't want TV either. I wish I could say that we don't watch TV at all...we still watch TV series on DVD...but it's a step in the right direction.

Just a side note. One of the best things about no TV is the lack of commercials. The girls used to want everything they saw advertised. Since there are no commercials to influence them they have stopped asking for ridiculous items from the store and have started asking for more books and craft projects.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I am all about no TV. My kids watch tv, but we have gone through phases without and I love it. Way to go, Thompson's.

-I'm glad to see you blogging. I was missing your post. Keep them coming.

JAEAEAJ said...

We don't have tv either. My kids play better together and love to read. Although we now frequent blockbuster way too often!~

Familia Ascua said...

Wow, that's awesome. I think my husband might die from lack of Argentine soccer if we tried. It's more part of his heart, than an addiction -- LOL. Miss ya!!

Ty Lyman said...

Just so you know...anything you want to watch on tv is accessible on hulu.com :) Just so you know. I LOVE THAT WEBSITE. For shows that I miss during the week. I can catch up on the weekend on my own time....if I can find some.

Good job though, no TV is the way to go. More FAMILY TIME