Monday, February 16, 2009

Building: Week 9

This was a slow week for our house. The biggest thing that happened was our four-way inspection. That's when the city of Payson and Rural Housing come and inspect everything that has been done so far. They are looking at the framing work we did as well as the plumbing, HVAC, and electrical work that was done. If we fail an inspection they give us a list of the things that need to be fixed and then they will come for a re-inspection. We were very nervous because the group that started the same time we did in Eagle Mountain has failed every four-way inspection they've had. When I got the news that we passed our inspection with flying colors on the first try, I couldn't stop smiling for three days. Every time CJ came home I would just bust out, "We passed our inspection!" I think he got tired of hearing it. There was one thing that Rural Housing wasn't happy about though but it didn't stop us from passing inspection, it just had to be fixed asap. They weren't happy that the basement wasn't "move-in" ready. The basement was still full of ice and snow as well as lots of trash from the contractors that have been installing things (more than you see in the pictures.)
I wasn't worried about the basement because we still have so much time before we need it cleaned up so I laughed when I heard that was the one thing Rural Housing was worried about. Whether or not it was a big deal to us, Rural Housing wanted the basement cleaned up and "move-in" ready by the end of the week. So guess what CJ and I did on Saturday? Yup, we spent Valentine's Day cleaning the basement. It was more work than I realized. First I swept and picked up the trash. Then I shoveled out the big piles of snow as well as the patches of ice that were being melted by two large heaters. CJ used an industrial blow torch to melt patches of ice here and there as well as the patches of ice that the heaters couldn't reach for fear of starting the house on fire.
As the ice melted I needed to use a squeegee to push all the water to the drain. It wasn't so bad getting all the water to the drain on the side that had the drain. The hard part was pushing all the water from the other room through the one door opening and then to the drain. I couldn't believe the amount of water that the snow and ice melted in to. I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea every time I pushed the squeegee. It took all day, but the basement is done! It looks really good. It will need more sweepings before we move in but that won't be anything compared to what we just did.

It looks like ice but it is really just slightly wet. The heaters had to be plugged in and I couldn't help but take a picture of the first time we used the electricity from an outlet on the inside of the house. Not much to anyone else but to us it is a milestone.

When they poured our basement floor they were supposed to pour our garage floor as well. Because of all the snow and ice at the time they did the basement floor they were unable to pour the garage floor. We were told that we had to wait until all the other homes were done in the other neighborhoods that Rural Housing was doing...and we were at the bottom of the list. I guess they must have hit the bottom, because we now have a garage floor. It looked so pretty when they first poured it.

This is what it looks like after only a few days of use. I am so nervous about my floors once the carpet and linoleum have been installed.

It will be so much better once all the mud is replaced with grass. I'm so glad that landscaping is included.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Shelly it's looking great. I myself was fond of the basement ice rink, but it does look rather good cleaned up as well.

Ty Lyman said...

I think it's great that you are keeping it cleaned up. I think it's also a huge milestone to actually use your electricity....Do you get to see a bill for that? LOL. I hope not. You guys are busting your butts.

Someone else said...

I sure hope we don't get the bill. We have been using the electric box on the outside like crazy. Of course it probably is part of the construction loan and we will be paying intrest on that electricity for 30 years. Lucky us. lol

karijean said...

Wow You guys have sure been working hard. A labor of love for your home. It is looking really good!

Fred said...

Well you will have a lot of stories to reminiss about, in the future. You will look back and realize it was worth it.

Dad